Monday 11 January 2016

A pink collar...

Just because my collar is pink, don't assume I won't bite. Just because I'm a staffy, don't assume I'm insecure about wearing pink; infact, just don't make assumptions about me!


This seems so pertinent as I have just heard the news this morning about the death of David Bowie, an icon of the gender moment. The assumption that all trans are in some way gay is common place, and that gender and sexual preference are linked. David Bowie was premier in breaking the assumptions that are commonly held, being fluid in gender and sexuality, but resolutely male.

The assertion that born sex dictates gender is a falsehood, the assumption that gender and born sex should in any way dictate sexual preference is equally ridiculous. My sexual preferences are my own, but how often do I get asked if I'm gay? Gender fluidity is the new Black but transgenderism is not a fashion accessory, how refreshing would it be if the populous could come to terms with the notion that transition is not a life choice, but rather, a necessity.

Gender dysphoria could be argued as a birth defect, not so unlike any other birth disfigurement. You would not deny an individual corrective surgery for a hare lip, so why is SRS such a contentious issue in the public eye? I feel a fundamental change in public attitude has begun and hopefully this will be reflected in the process of transition. As I have posted in the past, the medicalisation of the condition needs to move from the auspice of mental health to the biomedical arena. The stigmatism of gender dysphoria is only prospered by the assumption that we are in some way a mental health issue in the public gaze, this is wrong and needs to change.

Thank you David for being a guide and advocate of gender fluidity, may you rest in peace.

https://youtu.be/zLnPd7lzT4gxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment